1 conspicuously or grossly unconventional or unusual; "restaurants of bizarre design--one like a hat, another like a rabbit"; "famed for his eccentric spelling"; "a freakish combination of styles"; "his off-the-wall antics"; "the outlandish clothes of teenagers"; "outre and affected stage antics" [syn: bizarre, freakish, freaky, flaky, off-the-wall, outlandish, outre]
2 not having a common center; not concentric; "eccentric circles" [syn: nonconcentric] [ant: concentric]
2 a person of a specified kind (usually with many eccentricities); "a real character"; "a strange character"; "a friendly eccentric"; "the capable type"; "a mental case" [syn: character, type, case]
EtymologyFrom Latin eccentricus, literally out of centre, from Greek: ekkentros, not having the same centre.
- /ɪkˈsɛntrɪk/ (RP)
- /ɛkˈsɛntrɪk/ (US)
- Not at or in the centre.
- Not perfectly circular
- Having a different center.
- Deviating from the norm; behaving unexpectedly or
- "He has become really eccentric over the years."
- (of a motion) against or in the opposite direction of contraction of a muscle. (E.g. flexion of the lower arm while flexing the tricep; opening of the jaw while flexing the masseter). (Antonym: concentric)
- 1956 — Arthur C.
Clarke, The City and the Stars, p 40
- Khedron was the only other person in the city who could be called eccentric.
Not at or in the centre
- German: exzentrisch
Not perfectly circular
Having a different center
(physiology) (of a motion) against or in the opposite direction of contraction of a muscle
- Finnish: epäkesko
person who does not behave like others
Eccentricity may refer to:
- Eccentricity (behavior), unusual or odd behavior on the part of a person, as opposed to being "normal"
- Eccentricity (mathematics), a parameter associated with every conic section
- Eccentricity vector
- Eccentricity (graph theory) of a vertex in a graph
- Eccentric contraction, lengthening of muscle fibers
- Eccentric (mechanism), a wheel that rotates on an axle that is displaced from the focus of the circle described by the wheel
- Eccentric position of a surveying tripod to be able to measure hidden points
- Orbital eccentricity, in astrodynamics, calculated from orbital state vectors as an absolute value of eccentricity vector or using other methods based on orbital energy and angular momentum.
- Eccentric anomaly, the angle between the direction of periapsis and the current position of an object on its orbit.
- Eccentric (astronomy), a type of deferent, a circle or sphere used in obsolete astronomical systems to carry a planet around the Earth or Sun.
eccentric in Tosk Albanian: Exzentrizität
eccentric in Danish: Excentricitet
eccentric in German: Exzentrizität
eccentric in French: Excentricité
eccentric in Italian: Eccentricità
eccentric in Hebrew: אקסצנטריות
eccentric in Dutch: Excentriek
eccentric in Low German: Exzentrizität (Mehrdüdig Begreep)
eccentric in Portuguese: Excentricidade
eccentric in Romanian: Excentricitate
eccentric in Thai: ความเยื้องศูนย์กลาง
eccentric in Turkish: Dışmerkezlik
aberrant, abnormal, absurd, adrift, afloat, alien, alternating, amorphous, amusing, anomalistic, anomalous, beezer, bizarre, bohemian, broken, capricious, careening, case, catchy, caution, changeable, changeful, character, choppy, coot, crackpot, crank, crankish, cranky, crotchety, curious, desultory, deviable, deviant, deviative, different, dippy, disconnected, discontinuous, dissenter, divergent, dizzy, dotty, droll, duck, erratic, exceptionable, exceptional, fanatic, fantastic, fast and loose, fey, fickle, fitful, flake, flaky, flickering, flighty, flitting, fluctuating, formless, freak, freaked out, freakish, freaky, funny, giddy, grotesque, guttering, halting, heretic, herky-jerky, hermit, heteroclite, heteromorphic, hilarious, hobo, humorous, idiocratic, idiosyncratic, immethodical, impetuous, impulsive, incongruous, inconsistent, inconstant, indecisive, infirm, intermittent, intermitting, irregular, irresolute, irresponsible, jerky, kinky, kook, kooky, laughable, lone wolf, loner, ludicrous, lurching, maggoty, maverick, mazy, mercurial, meshuggenah, moody, natural, nonconformist, nonuniform, nut, nutty, odd, odd fellow, oddball, oddity, off, off the wall, off-balance, off-center, original, out, outlandish, outsider, pariah, passing strange, patchy, peculiar, priceless, quaint, queer, queer duck, queer fish, queer specimen, quirky, quiz, quizzical, rambling, rara avis, recluse, restless, rich, ridiculous, risible, rough, roving, scatterbrained, scrappy, screaming, screwball, screwy, shapeless, shifting, shifty, shuffling, singular, snatchy, solitary, spasmatic, spasmic, spasmodic, spastic, spineless, spook, sporadic, spotty, staggering, strange, strange duck, stray, straying, subnormal, tramp, twisted, type, unaccountable, unbalanced, uncentered, uncertain, unconformist, uncontrolled, unconventional, undependable, undisciplined, unearthly, unequal, uneven, unfixed, unmethodical, unmetrical, unnatural, unpredictable, unregular, unreliable, unrestrained, unrhythmical, unsettled, unstable, unstable as water, unstaid, unsteadfast, unsteady, unsystematic, vacillating, vagrant, variable, veering, vicissitudinary, vicissitudinous, volatile, wacky, wandering, wanton, wavering, wavery, wavy, wayward, weird, weirdo, whimsical, wishy-washy, witty, wobbling, wobbly, wondrous strange, zealot, zombie